Top Tens: Horror

Welcome to Sarai's Top Tens!

Every month we discuss a different Top Ten list found on Goodreads.

For May we're going to be looking at Horror! 4,446 people voted on this particular list.

As in our April Top Ten, I will note if the book belongs to a series, link to specific blogs (if they have been reviewed by me), discuss which ones I've read or haven't and provide my own top ten.

The Top Ten books on this list (out of 1,433) are:

  1. The Shining (The Shining, #1) by Stephen King
  2. It by Stephen King
  3. 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
  4. Dracula by Bram Stoker
  5. Pet Sematary by Stephen King
  6. Misery by Stephen King
  7. The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
  8. The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
  9. Carrie by Stephen King
  10. The Silence of the Lambs (Hannibal Lecter, #2) by Thomas Harris
The Books I've Read
Out of the ten books on this list I've read 2 of them.
  • Dracula. I read Dracula when I was 16 or so and have come to associate two songs by Fleetwood Mac and one by Ashlee Simpson with the book because I was obsessed with them while reading it. I actually remember reading this book because my mom had had a freak out over my brother reading it and so then I had to read it too. It was a good book. I don't remember if it scared me at the time or not. I know for a fact that it wouldn't scare me now. (It's hard to scare me...) I gave it a 5 star on Goodreads.
  • Carrie. I read this book in 2014 because I saw both versions of the movie. And, I had never read a Stephen King book. (Fun fact, Carrie is the only Stephen King book I've read) It didn't scare me. The movies didn't scare me either. I wasn't even unnerved. I enjoyed it. I wasn't scared by it. I gave it a 5 star on Goodreads.
The Books I want to Read
Out of the ten books on this list I want to read 5 of them.
  • The Shining. I have wanted to read this book for a bit because I want to know more about "All work and no play" but also because I want to expand upon my Stephen King list... I guess?
  • It. Yes, I want to read about a killer clown, because apparently it's all that and a bag of chips and I'm missing out?
  • The Exorcist. I feel like there are some horror things that you have to be exposed to before you can claim you are a true horror fan. At least, that's what I keep hearing since I've not even seen the Exorcist.
  • The Haunting of Hill House. I actually started reading this book in high school and never finished it, so I'd like a chance to re-read what I started reading and then finish it.
  • The Silence of the Lambs. Because my love of Anthony Hopkins demands that I read the book.
Problems I have with the List
Well, first off:
WHERE IS THE EDGAR ALLAN POE?!

Seriously. That was like a list dedicated to Stephen King... Out of the ten books listed all but 4 were written by Stephen King. And, I mean, I get it, I know he's like the King (pun definitely intended here) of horror, but good lord.

Secondly, literally only one book was written by a woman. And women write a lot of horror novels. I mean, our lives are literal horror fests (that's for another blog). 

The "Popular" horror books aren't much better as you can see from the following screenshot...
Only 5 of those books aren't written by Stephen King... And the only one written by a woman is Frankenstein.

Pretty sure that this top ten has most of the same issues my last one did. No LGBTQIA+, no people of colour, a severe lack of diversity... Just all Stephen King. He's a great guy (I follow him on Twitter), but COME ON.

My Top Ten
Here are ten books that fall on my personal list of favourites.
  1. Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite
  2. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
  3. The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe
  4. The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
  5. Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind
  6. The Lottery by Shirley Jackson
  7. Let the Right One in by John Ajvide Lindqvist
  8. Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane
  9. The Monkey's Paw by W.W. Jacobs
  10. The Lord of the Flies by William Golding
What are your thoughts? Have you read the books on the list? Did you agree with it? If so, leave me a comment and let me know, I'd love hear from you, the Reader!

In the meantime, Keep Reading and Stay Tuned for more Reviews!

Comments

Popular Posts