Diving into the Wreck

Book Details
Author: Adrienne Rich
Published: August 17th 1994
Pages: 62 (Paperback)
Genre: Poetry, Non-fiction

"This is the place.
And I am here, the mermaid whose dark hair
streams black, the merman in his armored body
We circle silently
about the wreck
we dive into the hold.
I am she: I am he"

Diving into the Wreck was Adrienne Rich's seventh volume of poetry, divvied into four sections and all written between 1971 and 1972, shortly after her divorce from her husband.

The poems range from traumas (a poem titled "Rape" describes the coldness with which some police officers approach victims of violent crime), being in love and war to looking too long into the abyss of the self (if I am to borrow a phrase from Nietzsche), etc.


Thoughts
This volume of poetry was absolutely gorgeous in every way. The lyrical quality and delicious word choices were brilliantly formed into the most thought provoking and punch packed poems. Definitely one of the best book purchases I've ever made and I would buy it again if only to give it to friends.

I read the entire volume, in one sitting, out loud to my (now) ex-husband. We stopped over a couple to just sit in awe and discuss the beauty of it. I don't want to get too prose-y about my love for these poems, because I could, but I would mean every word. It is not just a book to me. It is a door, a window, an opportunity to see myself turned inside out and upside down. It left me breathless.

Adrienne Rich is definitely one of my favourite poets. Worth a second reading, if for no other reason than to sink into the imagery and think.

Rating
As one might have guessed already, I gave this a 5 out of 5 on Goodreads.

And, as one might assume, I'm giving it a 10 out of 10 for our rating purposes.

Due to some of the content this book definitely has a PG-13 rating. As I mentioned prior, a poem about sexual assault, adult content and adult language.

I wouldn't suggest this to people who aren't interested in poetry. I get it, I know it's not for everyone (I'm still judging you though).

But, overall, anyone 16 and older should read this. Seriously.

Comments

Popular Posts