Exquisite Corpse

"Exquisite Corpse" by Poppy Z. Brite
Publication Date: August 20th, 1997
240 pgs. (Paperback)

"Horror is the badge of humanity, worn proudly, self-righteously, and often falsely."

The story begins with Andrew Compton who was [according to Wikipedia] modeled after the serial killer Dennis Nilsen [often called "The British Jeffrey Dahmer"]. When we meet, Andrew is serving a life sentence for killing twenty-three boys and young men in London, England. It is here that he decides that he no longer wishes to be incarcerated and decides to trick the officials into letting him out.

This decision leads him away from London and takes him to New Orleans French Quarter in Louisiana where he meets Jay Byrne, an artist of sorts and [again, according to Wikipedia] based on Jeffrey Dahmer. They discover that they are equals with the same vicious tastes and desires. Together, they decide to take their fascination with murder to new heights and they set their sights on Tran, a Vietnamese transvestite, whom they deem the perfect victim. Amidst all of this is Lucas Ransom (pirate radio host "Lush Rimbaud"), Tran's ex lover, struggling with vignettes of their relationship and trying desperately to win him back.

Main characters of the story: Andrew (obviously), Jay Byrne, Tran and Lucas Ransom (aka: Lush Rimbaud).

This book is part homo-erotica, part sick love story, part graphic violence and part sheer horror. There are no ghosts, nothing supernatural, just the raw horror that mankind can make. Which, to me, is one of the scariest plot lines. We don't want to think about Humanity in those terms, we want to believe in the good in people. However, Brite shows how treacherous human beings can [and often will] be. The depravity and desire, horror and love, bring you to the absolute brink and show you what lies beyond that edge. I find that truly terrifying, personally.

The few issues I have with the book generally revolve around the usage of certain words generally viewed as slurs, rape type situations, abusive relationships and some misogyny. The book is peppered with these things, though a significant portion of the problematic aspects bring about a deeper understanding of the characters.

A few things I find interesting about the book:

- Firstly, I'd like to say that every other review I've read describes Tran as a runaway (even the back cover of the book describes him in this fashion). However, I do not feel that this is an apt description. He is more homeless than a runaway, though I suppose running from his memories could count.

- Another thing about this book I find interesting is the change in viewpoints through out. We begin with Andrew speaking in first person and later on we move to third person omniscient and then back to first person.

- Out of the four main characters only Andrew speaks in first person.

- There are some poetry, music and old movie star references in this book as well. Some of what is included is Nine Inch Nails, Billie Holiday (I've listened to the song they reference by her, it is poignant) and Arthur Rimbaud (often referred to as the "mad boy poet").

In short, "Exquisite Corpse" is one of the most disturbing, most beautiful, most poetic horror thrill rides I've ever been on. Deliciously macabre from the very beginning it transcends most horror or disturbing literature I've read. For me, reading this book was like a long cool drink after being parched for weeks on end. I can honestly say that I am never completely done reading it because as soon as I finish I start again.

I would rate this book at a 10 on my scale, being one of the best books I've ever read [in spite of it's problematic issues].

However, this book is rated X and comes with a Trigger Warning for sexual content, adult language, graphic violence and drug use.

It is inappropriate for children under 18, strong Christians, people who are easily disturbed, people with weak stomachs and Non-Horror fans.

For everyone else I would definitely suggest this book!

Comments

Popular Posts